ASEAN KEY DESTINATIONS
Thai bourse market report for September 2013
- Daily average trading value up 27 pct year-on-year to USD1.48 bln
- Market cap at THB 12.08 trillion, up 2.1 pct from end-2012
- Derivatives trading at 65,748 contracts per day
The Stock Exchange of Thailand's (SET) securities trading value in September rose from a year earlier, amid concerns of Fed’s tapering monetary stimulus, slowing economic growth of China and some European countries, and lower-than-expected Thai economic expansion.
The SET main index ended September at 1,383.16 points, down 0.63 percent from the end of last year, but rose 6.87 percent from the previous month. Foreign investors accounted for total net sales of USD 3.47 billion in the first nine months.
Combined average daily trading value of SET and Market for Alternative Investment (mai) was at THB 46.47 billion (approx. USD 1.48 billion), up 26.6 percent from a year earlier. In the first nine months, average trading value expanded 81.5 percent to THB 55.55 billion from a year earlier.
Daily trading volume of derivatives rose 21.6 percent from a month ago at 65,748 contracts per day. The trading increased 62.2 percent to 71,648 contracts in the first nine month of this year.
Key highlights for September
- Market capitalization of SET was at THB 12.08 trillion (USD 385 billion), up 2.1 percent from the end of last year and up 7.02 percent from August, while market valuation of mai was at THB 171 billion (USD 5.46 billion), up 29 percent from the end of 2012, and rising 12 percent from the previous month.
- Forward P/E ratio for SET was at 13.78 times, higher than an average forward P/E of 13.41 times in the region. mai's forward P/E ratio was at 17.01 times.
- Dividend yields of SET rose to 3.17 percent, slightly higher than the average 3.14 percent in the region. mai’s dividend yield was at 1.69 percent.
- Foreign investors were net buyers in September, purchasing a net USD 300 million. In the third quarter of this year, they sold a net USD 943 million, similar to in other markets, such as Indonesia and Philippines, increasing their net sales to USD 3.47 billion in the first nine months of 2013.
- In July-September, trading value from all type of investors reduced from the previous quarter, but they increased year-on-year in the first nine months of this year.
- Listed companies raised funds through equity worth a combined THB 36.37 billion (USD 1.16 billion) in July-September. Of that, THB 26.18 billion (USD 834 million) was from initial public offerings. In the first nine months of this year, a total of THB 212.61 billion (USD 6.77 billion) was raised through the Thai stock market, up 162.11 percent from a year earlier.
- Derivatives trading volume rose from a month earlier to an average of 65,748 contracts per day. In the first nine months, average daily trading volume was at 71,648 contracts, up 62.18 percent from a year earlier.
- Night session trading accounted for 44.42 percent of total trading volume in the third quarter, down slightly from 45.03 percent in the previous quarter. In January-September, night session trading accounted for 49.63 percent of the total.
Letters that do not contain full contact information cannot be published.
Letters become the property of AseanAffairs and may be republished in any format.
They typically run 150 words or less and may be edited
submit your comment in the box below