ASEAN KEY DESTINATIONS
Thai bourse market report for October
Daily average trading value down 16 pct month-on-month to USD1.24 bln
Market cap at THB 12.59 trillion, up 6.45 pct from end-2012
Derivatives trading falls slightly month-on-month to 63,467 contracts per day
The Stock Exchange of Thailand's (SET) securities trading value in October decreased from the previous month, with the market mood being hit by global financial market volatility caused by concerns of U.S. debt crisis and uncertainties of its monetary policy, as well as Thailand’s political situation.
The SET main index ended October at 1,442.88 points, up 4.32 percent from September, and up 3.66 percent from the end of last year. Foreign investors remained net sellers worth USD 3.43 billion in the first ten months.
The combined average daily trading value of SET and Market for Alternative Investment (mai) was at THB 39.08 billion (approx. USD 1.24 billion), down 15.91 percent from September, but up 3.18 percent from a year earlier. In the first ten months, the average trading value expanded 71.4 percent to THB 53.79 billion from a year earlier.
Daily trading volume of derivatives dropped 3.47 percent from a month ago to 63,467 contracts per day.
Key highlights for October
- SET’s market capitalization was at THB 12.59 trillion (USD 399.8 billion), up 6.45 percent from the end of last year and up 4.26 percent from the past month, while market valuation of mai was at THB 189 billion (USD 6 billion), up 10.42 percent from the previous month, and up 42.3 percent from end-2012.
- The forward P/E ratio for SET was at 14.60 times, higher than an average forward P/E of 13.86 times for the region, and up from 13.80 times in the previous month. mai's forward P/E ratio was at 19.36 times, up from 17.08 times in September.
- Dividend yields of SET were flat at 3.03 percent, and mai’s dividend yield was at 1.58 percent.
- Foreign investors were net buyers in October, buying a net USD 38 million. Since the start of this year, they have sold a net USD 3.43 billion.
- Listed companies raised funds through equity worth a combined THB 4.42 billion (USD 140 million) in October. Of that, THB 342 million (USD 10.8 million) was from initial public offerings, and THB 4.08 billion (USD 129 million) was from secondary equity offerings. In the first ten months of this year, a total of THB 220 billion (USD 6.99 billion) was raised through the Thai stock market, doubling from a year earlier.
- Derivatives trading volume fell 3.47 percent from a month earlier to an average of 63,467 contracts per day. In the first ten months, average daily trading volume was at 70,775 contracts, up 60.34 percent from a year earlier, mainly boosted by single stock futures.
- Single stock futures had an average trading volume of 38,263 contracts per day throughout October, up from 29,100 in September
Letters that do not contain full contact information cannot be published.
Letters become the property of AseanAffairs and may be republished in any format.
They typically run 150 words or less and may be edited
submit your comment in the box below