ASEAN KEY DESTINATIONS
Thai bourse market report for July
- Daily average trading value up 64 pct year-on-year to USD 1.48 bln
- Market cap at THB 12.35 trillion, up 4.4 pct from end-2012
- Derivatives trading up 26 pct year-on-year at 54,755 contracts per day
BANGKOK, August 14, 2013 – The Stock Exchange of Thailand’s (SET) securities trading volume in July rose slightly, but fell from the previous month, dragged by uncertainties of global economic recovery and caution on the Federal Reserve’s monetary policy, while domestic political worries put pressure on the investment mood.
The SET main index ended July at 1,423.14 points, down 1.98 percent from June, but up 2.24 percent from the end of last year. Foreign investors remained net sellers worth of USD 2.5 billion in the first seven months.
Combined average daily trading value of SET and Market for Alternative Investment (mai) was at THB 45.94 billion (approx. USD 1.48 billion), up 64.37 percent from a year earlier, but down 27.15 percent from June. In the first seven months, the average trading value doubled to THB 59.19 billion from a year earlier.
Daily trading volume of derivatives rose 26.22 percent from a year ago at 54755, contracts per day, but down 42.43 percent from the past month.
Key highlights for July
- Market capitalization of the SET was at THB 12.35 trillion (USD 399 billion), down 1.4 percent from June, but rising by 4.4 percent from the end of last year, while market valuation of the mai was at THB 179 billion (USD 5.77 billion).
- The forward P/E ratio for the SET was at 13.48 times, similar level to the region markets averagely 13.39 times, while mai's forward P/E ratio was at 16.18 times.
- The dividend yield of the SET was at 3.03 percent at the end of July, higher than 2.78 percent the average of other regional markets, while mai was at 1.54 percent.
- Big-cap shares trading increased compared with the previous month, mostly in banking and energy & utilities.
- Foreign investors were net buyers in July, purchasing Thai shares worth a net THB 603 million, reversing from net sellers in three consecutive months.
- Listed companies in SET and mai raised funds through equity worth a combined THB 9.45 billion in July. Of that, THB 5.34 billion was raised from initial public offerings and THB 4.11 billion was raised from the secondary market. In the first seven months, a total of THB 186 billion raised during the period, up 153 percent from a year earlier.
- Derivatives trading volume fell 42.43 percent from June earlier to an average of 54,755 contracts per day due to declining volume of all products, but the trading rose 26.22 percent from a year ago.
- Commodity Futures trading in the night session accounted for 45.37 percent of the total trading volume, or up 42 percent from the previous month. The session trading contributed 50.81 percent of the total in the first seven months of this year.
SET Group “Matching Your Right Financial Opportunities”
Letters that do not contain full contact information cannot be published.
Letters become the property of AseanAffairs and may be republished in any format.
They typically run 150 words or less and may be edited
submit your comment in the box below