ASEAN KEY DESTINATIONS
Thai bourse market report for February 2016
- Daily average securities trading value dropped by 5.7 pct m-o-m to THB 41.8 bln
- Market cap at THB 13.03 trillion, up 2.3 pct from January
- Foreign investors became net buyer in February after selling three mth in a row
- Derivatives trading down 9.97 pct m-o-m to 191,873 contracts per day
The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) index ended February, 2016 at 1,332.37 points, up 3.4 percent from end-2015 and up 2.4 percent from January, considered outperforming other exchanges in the region, underpinned by hopes of capital inflows as a result of the economic stimulus of central banks in developing countries such as Europe and Japan; and after their economic data announced was lower than forecast. Thanks to high liquidity and attractive prices of the Thai stock market, foreign investors reversed to be net buyers in February after being net sellers for three consecutive months. The rise was driven by large cap stocks in SET50 having good earnings growth and high dividends.
At the end of February, the combined market capitalization of the SET’s main board and Market for Alternative Investment (mai) was at THB 13.03 trillion (USD 369.2 billion), a 2.3 percent increase from a month earlier. The average daily trading value of SET and mai in February was THB 41.8 billion, down 5.7 percent from a month earlier partly due to light trading volume during Chinese new year.
Key highlights for February
- SET index ended February at 1,332.37 points, up 3.4 percent from end-2015 and rising by 2.4 percent from a month earlier, beating other peers across the region.
- Market capitalization of SET was at THB 12.71 trillion (USD 360.4 billion), up 3.53 percent from January while market valuation of mai was at THB 310.7 billion (USD 8.8 billion), down 3.97 percent from a month earlier.
- Forward P/E ratio of SET was 13.93 times, while mai's was 17.61 times.
- Dividend yield ratio of SET was 3.52 percent at the end of the month, while mai's was 1.36 percent.
- In February, average daily trading value of SET and mai dropped 5.7 percent from a month earlier to THB 41.8 billion (USD 1.2 billion).
- Foreign investors were net buyers, buying Thai shares worth a net of THB 188 million in February after selling a net of THB 8.3 billion in January.
- Listed companies raised funds through equity worth a combined THB 2.1 billion, all from the secondary market.
- Derivatives trading volume dropped 9.97 percent from a month earlier to an average of 191,873 contracts per day, mostly due to the decreasing transactions of SET50 Index Futures, SET50 Index Options and USD Futures.
Letters that do not contain full contact information cannot be published.
Letters become the property of AseanAffairs and may be republished in any format.
They typically run 150 words or less and may be edited
submit your comment in the box below