SGX trading and clearing volumes grow in March
Singapore Exchange (SGX) today said its trading and clearing volumes continued to grow in March.
• Securities daily average value (SDAV) was 20% higher year-on-year at $1.6 billion and 11% lower month-on-month.
• Total value traded was up 9% year-on-year and flat month-on-month at $31.5 billion.
• Exchange traded funds turnover declined 57% year-on-year and 19% month-on-month to $267 million.
• Value of bond listings declined 40% year-on-year and grew 12% month-on-month to $15 billion. The two largest bond listings in March were the US$1 billion 1.85% and US$500 million 3.5% notes issued by Mizuho Corporate Bank.
• Derivatives daily average volume (DDAV) grew 34% year-on-year and declined 8% month-on-month to 473,028 contracts.
• Volume in March 2013 was up 27% year-on-year and 10% month-on-month to 9.56 million contracts.
• Open interest reached a new record high of 3.17 million contracts on 7 March.
• Equity index futures volume grew 23% year-on-year and 11% month-on-month to 8.6 million contracts.
• Equity index options volume doubled year-on-year to 793,354 contracts, driven by growth in the Nikkei 225 Index Options. On a month-on-month basis, it was down 3%.
• Open interest on equity index options more than doubled year-on-year to 1.76 million contracts at the end of March. This was 5% higher month-on-month. Open interest on equity index futures increased 16% year-on-year and decreased 18% month-on-month to 1.03 million contracts at the end of March.
• Volume of commodity swaps cleared grew 82% year-on-year and 19% month-on-month to 43,055 contracts. Volume of iron ore swaps cleared tripled year-on-year to 37,005 contracts. This was 15% higher month-on-month.
• SICOM rubber futures trading grew 35% year-on-year and was flat month-on-month at 24,634 contracts.
OTC Financial Derivatives Clearing
• Volume of new interest rate swaps cleared in March was S$3.9 billion, 37% lower year-on-year and month-on-month.
About Singapore Exchange (SGX)
Singapore Exchange (SGX) is the Asian Gateway, connecting investors in search of Asian growth to corporate issuers in search of global capital. SGX represents the premier access point for managing Asian capital and investment exposure, and is Asia’s most internationalised exchange with more than 40% of companies listed on SGX originating outside of Singapore. SGX offers its clients the world’s biggest offshore market for Asian equity futures market, centred on Asia’s three largest economies – China, India and Japan.
In addition to offering a fully integrated value chain from trading and clearing, to settlement and depository services, SGX is also Asia’s pioneering central clearing house. Headquartered in Asia’s most globalised city, and centred within the AAA strength and stability of Singapore’s island nation, SGX is a peerless Asian counterparty for the clearing of financial and commodity products.