ASEAN KEY DESTINATIONS
SET News 24/2013
March 18, 2013
Thai bourse market report for February
Daily average trading volume up 80 pct year-on-year to USD 2.07 bln
Market cap at THB 13.14 trillion, up 11 pct from end-2011
Derivatives trading up 98 pct year-on-year at 67,777 contracts per day
BANGKOK, March 18, 2013 – The Stock Exchange of Thailand’s (SET) securities trading volume in February soared 80 percent from a year earlier, supported by optimism on Thailand’s economic growth after its fourth-quarter GDP was significantly higher than a year earlier and earnings of Thai listed companies improved, although concerns of U.S. and European economies remained putting pressure on the investment mood.
The SET main index ended February at 1,541.58 points, up 10.75 percent from the end of last year. However, foreign investors reversed themselves to become net sellers of shares worth USD 574 million in February after being net buyers for three consecutive months.
Combined average daily trading volume of SET and Market for Alternative Investment (mai) was at THB 62.05 billion (approx. USD 2.07 billion), or up 79.90 percent from a year earlier, while daily trading volume of derivatives rose 98 percent from a year ago at 67,777 contracts per day.
Key highlights for February
- Market capitalization of the SET was at THB 13.14 trillion (USD 440 billion), up 4.74 percent from January, and rising by 11.04 percent from the end of last year, while market valuation of the mai was at THB 183.18 billion (USD 6.11 billion), up 5.25 percent from a month ago and 37.71 percent from a year earlier.
- The forward P/E ratio for the SET was at 14.18 times, up from 13.59 a month ago, while mai’s forward P/E ratio increased to 18.72 times from 18.07 at end-January.
- The dividend yield of the SET was at 2.59 percent at the end of February, while mai’s was at 1.18 percent.
- Foreign investors were net sellers, selling Thai shares worth a net USD 574 million in February. They accounted for 17.53 percent of total trading volume in the month, down from 19.27 percent in January.
- Listed companies raised funds through equity worth a combined THB 1.9 billion in February. Of that, THB 581 million was raised from initial public offerings and THB 1.32 billion was raised from the secondary market.
- Derivatives trading volume jumped 98 percent from a year earlier to an average of 67,777 contracts per day.
For more information, please visit www.set.or.th or S-E-T call center 0 2229 2222
SET Group “Matching Your Right Financial Opportunities”
For more information, please contact S-E-T Call Center +66 (0) 2229 2222
Letters that do not contain full contact information cannot be published.
Letters become the property of AseanAffairs and may be republished in any format.
They typically run 150 words or less and may be edited
submit your comment in the box below