ASEAN KEY DESTINATIONS
Over 3 in 5 Aussies are happy with the amount of leisure time they have
Japanese are most dissatisfied among six APAC markets and second globally
Singapore, October 1, 2015 – The busy pace of life is a popular complaint for many people. However, a recent survey conducted by GfK across five key Asia Pacific markets revealed that there are more satisfied people than not—50 percent versus 20 percent—with the amount of leisure time they have.
Half (50%) of the 7,100+ people surveyed in Australia, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea and Taiwan say they are completely or fairly satisfied with the amount of leisure time they have, with those from Australia scoring the highest level of satisfaction at 61 percent, followed by China at 58 percent. Only 38 percent from Japan share the same sentiments.
“In China and Australia, the level of satisfaction with leisure time is aligned with, or even better than the international average. But in the other four Asian markets surveyed, people reported notably less contentment than the global average.” observed Michael Mueller, Chief Operating Officer for Consumer Experience at GfK in Asia. “This is likely due to the trend of longer working hours in developed Asian markets, resulting in shorter leisure time for themselves.”
Across all 22 countries surveyed, 16 percent of people say they are completely satisfied with the amount of leisure time they have, while a further 42 percent are fairly satisfied, bringing the total proportion of satisfied parties to 58 percent. Only 18 percent are unhappy in total, consisting of 14 percent ‘not too satisfied’ and four percent who are ‘not at all satisfied’ with their amount of leisure time.
“These findings are valuable for those businesses offering products or services that focus on people’s leisure and relaxation time, as messages can be refined accordingly to better target and resonate with the different groups of consumers,” said Mueller. “For example, people who are least satisfied with their amount of leisure time are more likely to respond better to messages around making the most of limited free time, or activities that can be tailored to fit around irregular periods of leisure.”
The average level of dissatisfaction for Asia is slightly higher than the international average, at 20 percent. This is led by the Japanese who have 30 percent dissatisfied overall —including 8 percent who say they are not at all satisfied. Korea and Hong Kong follow at 20 and 19 percent respectively - a significantly lower level of dissatisfaction with their lack of leisure time than in Japan; although still higher than the international average.
Meanwhile, on a global level, America, Canada and UK have highest percentage of people who are satisfied while Russia and Japan have the highest percentage of those who are dissatisfied.
See the infographic full size at: http://www.gfk.com/PublishingImages/Press/GfK-Infographic-Leisure-time-Countries.jpg
About the study
GfK conducted an online survey (face to face in Ukraine) with over 27,000 people aged 15 or older in 22 countries. Fieldwork was carried out in summer 2014. In the countries surveyed online, the data have been weighted to reflect the demographic composition of the online population age 15+ in each market. In the country surveyed face-to-face, the study is representative of the top-tier urban population aged 15+ excluding the lowest SES levels. The countries included in this press release are Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Poland, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Turkey, UK, Ukraine and USA.
GfK is the trusted source of relevant market and consumer information that enables its clients to make smarter decisions. More than 13,000 market research experts combine their passion with GfK’s long-standing data science experience. This allows GfK to deliver vital global insights matched with local market intelligence from more than 100 countries. By using innovative technologies and data sciences, GfK turns big data into smart data, enabling its clients to improve their competitive edge and enrich consumers’ experiences and choices.
For more information, please visit www.gfk.com or follow GfK on Twitter: https://twitter.com/GfK_en
Letters that do not contain full contact information cannot be published.
Letters become the property of AseanAffairs and may be republished in any format.
They typically run 150 words or less and may be edited
submit your comment in the box below