ASEAN KEY DESTINATIONS
Households in Singapore still preferring the traditional gas operated stove over those using electricity: GfK
Gas stoves make up four in five sold
SINGAPORE, 7 April 2014 – In today’s context where convenience is highly appreciated and eating out is a common trend due to the hectic lifestyle of consumers in Singapore; one would expect the newer households with younger families to choose the sleeker looking electric models of hob, also known as stove, when fitting or refitting the kitchen of their homes. However, GfK reports have revealed an interesting trend that majority of the nearly 12,000 stoves sold in Singapore in the last eight months were the gas types.
GfK commenced retail sales tracking of hoods and hobs in technical super stores and electrical chains in Singapore in July 2013. According to findings up till the latest month of February, households in the country spent over USD 4 million on hobs; 82 percent of which were models fuelled by gas while electric hobs only made up the rest of the 18 percent.
“In spite of the lower incidence of home cooking by modern families these days lending to the belief that households may prefer the easier to operate and clean electric hobs, our study has verified that this is not the case and Singaporeans generally are still traditional when it comes to cooking methods,” highlighted Jasmine Lim, Account Director for Home & Lifestyle at GfK Asia. “Between gas and electric stoves, the former tend to be favored as there is more instant and direct control of the heat to enable more uniform cooking.”
GfK findings also showed that the lower priced sealed type surface which costs around USD288 made up around three in five (62%) hobs purchased. In terms of value contribution to the overall hobs market in Singapore, it was almost an even split with the more aesthetically pleasing and premium ceramic or glass type surface hobs which average USD 451.
“Consumers who choose ceramic or glass type hobs are more inclined to get a European branded one due to its perceived higher quality and prestige,” noted Lim. “Among those who have purchased such type of hobs, 30 percent of the consumers forked out more than USD 800—over USD300 higher than the average price.”
In the context of Singapore, hoods are apparently considered less essential a kitchen appliance compared to hobs with GfK reporting a lesser quantity of hoods sold during this same tracking period. Hob sales volume in the past 8 months was reportedly 79 percent more than hood, which sold 6,700. The most affordable standard type of hoods dominated sales volume and value—garnering 77 and 58 percent of total market, while the more decorative and stylish chimney design trailed with over a third (36%) of the market value even though the segment accounted for only 17 percent in volume.
“With the continued emphasis on eco-friendly appliances these days, we are anticipating the energy-saving features of hoods and hobs to receive more attention from consumers,” said Lim. “With the high number of government and private housing units expected to be completed this year, we can expect the hoods and hobs market in Singapore to turn in a robust performance in 2014,” Lim concluded.
GfK is the trusted source of relevant market and consumer information that enables its clients to make smarter decisions. More than 13,000 market research experts combine their passion with GfK’s 80 years of data science experience. This allows GfK to deliver vital global insights matched with local market intelligence from more than 100 countries. By using innovative technologies and data sciences, GfK turns big data into smart data, enabling its clients to improve their competitive edge and enrich consumers’ experiences and choices.
For more information, please visit www.GfK.com or follow GfK on Twitter: https://twitter.com/GfK_en
Letters that do not contain full contact information cannot be published.
Letters become the property of AseanAffairs and may be republished in any format.
They typically run 150 words or less and may be edited
submit your comment in the box below