ASEAN KEY DESTINATIONS
September 26, 2007
Up to 60 dead in bridge collapse
A Japanese-funded bridge under construction in southern Vietnam collapsed on Wednesday, killing up to 60 workers and injuring around 150 in the country's worst such disaster.
A contractor with a Chinese company working on the bridge being built in Can Tho city said 60 people were killed. State-run Vietnam TV said 48 casualties had been confirmed with scores unaccounted for.
One police officer reached by telephone said as many as 100 could be dead or missing.
TV news bulletins showed footage of a mass of tangled steel and concrete at the scene, and emergency workers in white uniforms taking bloodied victims into hospitals for treatment.
"It is total chaos here," said Tran Thanh Quang, director of military hospital 112 in the Mekong Delta city, where most victims were being treated.
Full story on http://yahoo.reuters.com/