Sign up | Log in



UN Mediation: Envoy meets junta leader, Suu Kyi

After days of delays, Myanmar's reclusive junta leader, Senior Gen. Than Shwe, finally granted an audience Tuesday to a U.N. envoy hoping to broker an end to Myanmar's crackdown on pro-democracy protesters.

The government later permitted a second encounter between the diplomat and Aung San Suu Kyi, the detained Nobel laureate who has come to symbolize the yearning for democracy in Myanmar.
Ibrahim Gambari, the U.N.'s special envoy, met Than Shwe in the junta's remote new capital, Naypyitaw, a U.N. statement said. It said he then flew to Yangon and talked to Suu Kyi.
The meeting with Than Shwe was expected but the one with Suu Kyi came as a surprise, raising hopes that Gambari's shuttle diplomacy was making progress.
The U.N. has said that Gambari's mission is to persuade the generals — who have provoked worldwide revulsion with last month's crackdown — to take the people's demand for democracy seriously.
Dissident groups say up to 200 protesters were slain and 6,000 detained in the junta's crackdown, compared to the regime's report of 10 deaths.
While the envoy tried to broker peace, the junta scaled back the curfew from seven hours to six and security forces lightened their presence in Yangon, the country's main city.
Kept off the streets, many residents launched a new form of protest Monday evening by switching off their lights and turning off television sets from 8 p.m.- 8:15 p.m. during the nightly government newscast.
It was unclear how many homes heeded calls for what activists are calling a "silent protest" against the junta.
The U.N. statement said Gambari's meeting with Than Shwe and his deputies "to discuss the current situation in Myanmar" lasted more than an hour. It said Gambari also met Suu Kyi for the second time during his four-day mission but gave no other details.
Gambari later went to Singapore en route to New York. Diplomats and officials said he will brief U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the U.N. Security Council on Friday.
Britain's deputy ambassador to the U.N., Karen Pierce, said any Security Council action will depend on the results of Gambari's trip: "We need to see what sort of territory we're in."
Foreign governments have been urging the junta to free the detainees, who include thousands of Buddhist monks who led last month's protests. In addition, freeing Suu Kyi from her long years of house arrest has been one of the main goals of all U.N. envoys and Myanmar's international critics.
The meeting between Gambari and Than Shwe also included the junta No. 2 leader Deputy Senior Gen. Maung Aye, as well as two other top generals in the ruling coterie.
In New York on Monday, Myanmar Foreign Minister Nyan Win denounced foreign interference, which he blamed for the violence last month.
"Recent events make clear that there are elements within and outside the country who wish to derail the ongoing process (toward democracy) so that they can take advantage of the chaos that would follow," Nyan Win told the U.N. General Assembly.
He said security forces acted with restraint for a month but had to "take action to restore the situation." Nyan Win made no reference to the deaths.

Full story on

Home | About Us | Contact Us | Special Feature | Features | News | Magazine | Events | TV | Press Release | Advertise With us

| Terms of Use | Site Map | Privacy Policy  | DISCLAIMER |

Version 5.0
Copyright © 2006-2020 TIME INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT ENTERPRISES CO., LTD. All rights reserved.
Bangkok, Thailand