Sign up | Log in



Home  >>  Daily News  >>  Malaysia News  >>  Telecom  >>  Temasek unit to take 33% stake in Malaysia’s U Mobile
NEWS UPDATES 16 March 2010

Temasek unit to take 33% stake in Malaysia’s U Mobile

Related Stories

March 3, 2010
Malaysia: Handset sales expected to rise 5 percent in 2010

February 7, 2010
India’s Airtel to enter Malaysian mobile phone market

September 10, 2009
Malaysian, Indian firms pursue stake in Kuwait’s telecom giant

August 7, 2009
Malaysia considers censoring the Internet

Temasek Holdings unit Singapore Technologies Telemedia (STT) will buy a 33 percent stake in U Mobile Sdn Bhd for 625 million ringgit as part of its 1 billion ringgit investment commitment to widen its reach into Malaysia’s telecommunications market, Malaysia business daily the StarBiz reported.

It will use the balance amount to participate in a rights issue that U Mobile will make soon to fund its expansion.

U Mobile chairman Tan Sri Vincent Tan did not disclose the size of the rights issue but said the exercise would have the participation of all shareholders and would be “substantial enough to beat the competition’’.

Upon completion of the rights issue, STT will retain a 33 percent shareholding in U Mobile – one of the four Telcos in the country with a 3G spectrum.

U Mobile has been seeking a strategic investor after Japan’s NTT DoCoMo and South Korea’s KT Freetal exited U Mobile in September last year.

“STT will be an excellent partner. It is a valuable investment,’’ Tan said.
STT is buying the 33 percent stake from Tan, who has 96.04 percent equity in U Mobile via U Television Sdn Bhd. The remaining 3.96 percent is held by Multi- Purpose Holdings Bhd.


Comment on this Article. Send them to

Letters that do not contain full contact information cannot be published.
Letters become the property of AseanAffairs and may be republished in any format.
They typically run 150 words or less and may be edited
submit your comment in the box below 





1.  Verifier

1. Verifier

For security purposes, we ask that you enter the security code that is shown in the graphic. Please enter the code exactly as it is shown in the graphic.
Your Code
Enter Code

Home | About Us | Contact Us | Special Feature | Features | News | Magazine | Events | TV | Press Release | Advertise With us

Our Products | Work with us | Terms of Use | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Shipping/Delivery Policy | DISCLAIMER |

Version 5.0
Copyright © 2007-2015 TIME INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT ENTERPRISES CO., LTD. All rights reserved.
Bangkok, Thailand