Sign up | Log in



Home  >>   Daily News  >>   Malaysia  >>Economy  >> Malaysia’s external debt manageable, says Finance Ministry
NEW UPDATES Asean Affairs  16 March  2015  

Malaysia’s external debt manageable, says Finance Ministry

THE Malaysian federal government's external debt position is manageable and puts the country in the moderately indebted category, says the country’s Finance Ministry.

At end of 2014, the federal government's domestic and offshore debts totalled RM582.8 billion (US180 billion) or 54.5 per cent of gross domestic product, the ministry said in a statement yesterday.

Of the total debt, 97.1 per cent or RM566.1 billion (US$178 billion) constituted domestic debt while the remaining RM16.8 billion (US$7 billion) or 2.9 per cent was in offshore loans, it said.
It said the Malaysian government is committed to ensuring the Federal government's debt does not exceed 55 per cent of GDP.

In line with international debt reporting requirements according to International Monetary Fund (IMF) conventions, Malaysia's external debt situation under the new definition now comprises offshore borrowings by the Federal government, public enterprises and the private sector, as well as holdings of debt securities, deposits and trade credits denominated in ringgit by non-residents.

At end of 2014, Malaysia's external debt stood at RM744.7 billion (US$300 billion) or 69.6 per cent of GDP, compared to RM696.6 billion (US$275 billion) or 70.6 per cent in 2013, it said.

Of the total, 42 per cent comprised holdings of debt securities and deposits by non-residents; private sector debt (37 per cent); public enterprise debts (10 per cent); trade credits and other loans (nine per cent) as well as the federal government's offshore loans (two per cent).

Malaysia’s external debt under the new definition reflects the high level of non-residents' holdings of ringgit-denominated debt securities and deposits, comprising over 40 per cent of Malaysia's external debt, it said.

Reach Southeast Asia!
10- Nations, 560- Million Consumers
And $1 -Trillion Market
We are the Voice of Southeast Asia Media Kit
The only Media Dedicated to Southeast Asia Advertising Rates for Magazine
Online Ad Rates

Comment on this Article. Send them to

Letters that do not contain full contact information cannot be published.
Letters become the property of AseanAffairs and may be republished in any format.
They typically run 150 words or less and may be edited
submit your comment in the box below

Today's  Stories                           March  16 , 2015 Subsribe Now !
• Viet Nam's super wealthy likely to get richer Subcribe: Asean Affairs Global Magazine
• RI still reluctant to join ASEAN Trading Link
• Philippine Muslim rebels warn trust in government eroded
Research Reports
on Thailand 2007-2008

• Textiles and Garments Industry
• Coffee industry
• Leather and footwear industry
• Shrimp industry

• Malaysia’s external debt manageable, says Finance Ministry
•Thai firm latest to offer lease financing
Asean Analysis                    March 6, 2015
• Asean Analysis March 6, 2015
Washington Prepares to Welcome New Indonesian President, with Some Caution
Advertise Your Brand

Asean Stock Watch  March 13,  2015
• Asean Stock Watch-March 13, 2015
The Biweekly Update
• The Biweekly Update March 6, 2015

ASEAN NEWS UPDATES      Updated: 04 January 2011

 • Women Shariah scholars see gender gap closing
• Bank Indonesia may hold key rate as inflation hits 7 percent
• Bursa Malaysia to revamp business rules
• Private property prices hit new high in Singapore • Bangkok moves on mass transport
• Thai retailers are upbeat
• Rice exports likely to decline • Vietnamese PM projects 10-year socioeconomic plan


This year in Thailand-what next?

AseanAffairs   04 January 2011
By David Swartzentruber      

It is commonplace in journalism to write two types of articles at the transition point between the year that has passed and the New Year. As this writer qualifies as an “old hand” in observing Thailand with a track record dating back 14 years, it is time take a shot at what may unfold in Thailand in 2011.

The first issue that can’t be answered is the health of Thailand’s beloved King Bhumibol, who is now 83 years old. He is the world's longest reigning monarch, but elaborate birthday celebrations in December failed to mask concern over his health. More






1.  Verifier

1. Verifier

For security purposes, we ask that you enter the security code that is shown in the graphic. Please enter the code exactly as it is shown in the graphic.
Your Code
Enter Code

Home | About Us | Contact Us | Special Feature | Features | News | Magazine | Events | TV | Press Release | Advertise With us

Our Products | Work with us | Terms of Use | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Shipping/Delivery Policy | DISCLAIMER |

Version 5.0
Copyright © 2007-2015 TIME INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT ENTERPRISES CO., LTD. All rights reserved.
Bangkok, Thailand