Sign up | Log in



March 7, 2009

Japanese firm offers to buy remaining shares of Philippine brewer

Kirin Holdings of Japan wants to buy out the remaining shareholders of San Miguel Brewery Inc (SMB), reported The Manila Times.

In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the tender offer period would start March 16 until April 17 this year, with the Japanese beer-maker offering to acquire up to 886.1 million SMB common shares, or the 5.75 percent held by the public.

Kirin is also eyeing to acquire the 43.25-percent stake of San Miguel Corp. (SMC) in SMB for $1.2 billion to be paid in two tranches. Aside from the Philippines’ biggest beer business, the Japanese brewery, which is a significant SMC shareholder, is also eyeing to acquire the overseas beer business of Southeast Asia’s biggest food and beverage concern.

Kirin plans a tender offer to boost its stake in SMB to 49 percent, leaving the Philippine conglomerate with the remaining 51 percent.

Japan’s beverage giants are looking beyond their traditional markets for opportunities to grow their business in the face of a shrinking population in the world’s second largest economy.

Under its agreement with SMC, Kirin will purchase shares of SMB from the parent at 8.841 peso a share, for a total acquisition price of 58.9 billion peso.



Comment on this Article. Send them to

Letters that do not contain full contact information cannot be published.
Letters become the property of AseanAffairs and may be republished in any format.
They typically run 150 words or less and may be edited

submit your comment in the box below




1.  Verifier

1. Verifier

For security purposes, we ask that you enter the security code that is shown in the graphic. Please enter the code exactly as it is shown in the graphic.
Your Code
Enter Code

Home | About Us | Contact Us | Special Feature | Features | News | Magazine | Events | TV | Press Release | Advertise With us

Our Products | Work with us | Terms of Use | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Shipping/Delivery Policy | DISCLAIMER |

Version 5.0
Copyright © 2007-2015 TIME INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT ENTERPRISES CO., LTD. All rights reserved.
Bangkok, Thailand