ASEAN KEY DESTINATIONS
Mosque bomber suspect arrested
Indonesia's counter-terrorism police on Saturday arrested at least one suspect in a suicide bombing of a mosque in April, a spokesman said.
The 31-year-old man was one of five on a wanted list connected to the bombing in Cirebon, around 200 kilometers east of Jakarta, which wounded dozens, six of them seriously.
National police spokesman Boy Rafli Amar said the man, named Heru Komarudin, was arrested from central Jakarta in the early hours of Saturday morning.
An anonymous source from Detatchment 88, an elite counter-terrorism police unit currently questioning Komarudin, told AFP that at least one other suspect had been arrested in Bekasi on the outskirts of Jakarta.
"We will make an official statement later today," he said.
On April 15, Mohammed Syarif, 32, detonated explosives strapped to his body at a mosque within a police station during a long Friday prayer service.
The dozens wounded in the explosion -- who were mostly policemen, including the Cirebon police chief -- were found with nails, nuts and bolts lodged in their bodies.
Another suspect on the same wanted list, Achmad Yosepa Hayat, executed an almost identical attack on a church in the city of Solo, central Java, on September 25, injuring dozens of others with a similar explosive.
The Cirebon attack was the first suicide bombing inside a mosque in the world's largest Muslim-majority nation of 240 million people.
Letters that do not contain full contact information cannot be published.
Letters become the property of AseanAffairs and may be republished in any format.
They typically run 150 words or less and may be edited
submit your comment in the box below