Sign up | Log in



Home  >>   Daily News  >>   Indonesia News  >>   Labor  >>   Indonesia continues ban on workers to Saudis
NEWS UPDATES Asean Affairs              30  July 2011

Indonesia continues ban on workers to Saudis

Related Stories

June 30, 2011
Saudis ban Indo and Philippine domestics

June 21, 2011
Best Indo employers named

May 17, 2011
Indonesia to lower unemployment rate

April 2, 2011
Improving Indonesia’s workforce

March 28, 2011
High youth unemployment in Indonesia

December 7, 2010
Young Indonesians can help aging countries

October 15, 2010
Indonesian minister wants to end outsourcing

The government will press ahead with its plan to keep migrant workers from being sent to Saudi Arabia until an agreement on their protection is reached.

“Starting August 1, we will no longer allow informal workers to work in Saudi Arabia until a memorandum of understanding regarding their protection is signed,” Suhartono, a spokesman for the Manpower and Transmigration Ministry, said on Friday.

The moratorium was officially announced last month by President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, shortly after an Indonesian worker in Saudi Arabia, Ruyati binti Sapubi, 54, was executed by beheading on June 18.

She had been convicted of killing her Saudi employer, who she said had abused her.

Yudhoyono denounced the beheading and accused the Saudi government of breaking the “norms and manners” of international relations. The Saudis did not notify Indonesian diplomats of the execution beforehand.

But Riyadh a few days after Jakarta announced the moratorium plan, said that it would no longer issue visas for Indonesian and Filipino workers.

“Before January 2011, we sent 40,000 to 50,000 maids to Saudi Arabia every month,” Suhartono said. “After that the number declined to 15,000 people a month, and now we are going to stop sending workers completely.”

He said the embargo would only affect domestic workers, not skilled workers. Meanwhile, he said, the government will focus on sending workers to countries like Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, where they have protection.

He said the government was aware that the embargo could see more workers traveling to a third country and entering Saudi Arabia illegally by land.

“We will have to work harder to monitor agencies, to make sure they don’t send workers illegally,” he said.

Suhartono did not offer any information on when an agreement would be signed, saying only that were many issues to be settled first.


Reach Southeast Asia!
10- Nations, 560- Million Consumers
And $1 -Trillion Market
We are the Voice of Southeast Asia Media Kit
The only Media Dedicated to Southeast Asia Advertising Rates for Magazine
  Online Ad Rates

Comment on this Article. Send them to

Letters that do not contain full contact information cannot be published.
Letters become the property of AseanAffairs and may be republished in any format.
They typically run 150 words or less and may be edited
submit your comment in the box below




1.  Verifier

1. Verifier

For security purposes, we ask that you enter the security code that is shown in the graphic. Please enter the code exactly as it is shown in the graphic.
Your Code
Enter Code

Today's  Stories    30  July  2011 Subsribe Now !
• Cambodian wins Magsaysay award
Subcribe: Asean Affairs Global Magazine
• Indonesia continues ban on workers to Saudis Asean Affairs Premium
• Indonesia tries to boost local films
Research Reports
on Thailand 2007-2008

•Textiles and Garments Industry

•Coffee industry

•Leather and footwear industry

•Shrimp industry

• Saudi hiring poses problems to Philippine labor market
• Philippines gets no rating upgrade
• Singapore industry is optimistic
• Thailand should focus on agriculture
• Thai tourism goes after MICE p

Asean Analysis    30  July  2011

Advertise Your Brand
• WEEKLY SUMMARY Sponsor Our Events

Asean Stock Watch    29  July  2011 

• Asean Stock Watch-June 29 p

ASEAN NEWS UPDATES      Updated: 04 January 2011

 • Women Shariah scholars see gender gap closing
• Bank Indonesia may hold key rate as inflation hits 7 percent

• Bursa Malaysia to revamp business rules
• Private property prices hit new high in Singapore
• Bangkok moves on mass transport
• Thai retailers are upbeat
• Rice exports likely to decline
• Vietnamese PM projects 10-year socioeconomic plan


This year in Thailand-what next?

AseanAffairs   04 January 2011
By David Swartzentruber      

It is commonplace in journalism to write two types of articles at the transition point between the year that has passed and the New Year. As this writer qualifies as an “old hand” in observing Thailand with a track record dating back 14 years, it is time take a shot at what may unfold in Thailand in 2011.

The first issue that can’t be answered is the health of Thailand’s beloved King Bhumibol, who is now 83 years old. He is the world's longest reigning monarch, but elaborate birthday celebrations in December failed to mask concern over his health. More


Home | About Us | Contact Us | Special Feature | Features | News | Magazine | Events | TV | Press Release | Advertise With us

Our Products | Work with us | Terms of Use | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Shipping/Delivery Policy | DISCLAIMER |

Version 5.0
Copyright © 2007-2015 TIME INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT ENTERPRISES CO., LTD. All rights reserved.
Bangkok, Thailand