Google

ASEANAFFAIRS
Sign up | Log in

    ASEAN PROFILES

  ASEAN KEY DESTINATIONS

Home  >>  Daily News  >>  Indonesia News  >> Companies  >>  Indonesia’s state telecom shifts focus, $1.2 bln tower deal with SingTel

NEWS UPDATES 
3-4 June 2010

Indonesia’s state telecom shifts focus, $1.2 bln tower deal with SingTel

Related Stories
May 29, 2010
Indonesia expects investment from three Dubai firms

May 18, 2010
Nestle considers resuming ties with Indonesia palm oil firm

May 16, 2010
Indonesia keeps ‘plan b’ for Krkatau Steel J-V with Korea’s firm

May 11, 2010
Indonesian port operator pays $265m in taxes

Indonesia's state-controlled PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia said on Friday it expects a tower deal with Singapore Telecommunications worth up $1.2 billion to be completed this year, Reuters reported.

Telkom, which said it sees single-digit percentage growth in second-quarter net profit, is shifting its focus to data services to earn higher profits as subscriber growth in Southeast Asia's biggest economy slows. It also needs to invest heavily in telecoms infrastructure including towers.

Telkom's president director Rinaldi Firmansyah said the firm was still in talks with SingTel. Earlier this year, Telkom said it would borrow nearly $400 million to buy out SingTel's interests in about 9,000 telecoms towers.

"We'll still have to see how aggressive they will be about finding tenants for the towers once the deal is done. The deal itself still has be to negotiated in terms of pricing and how it's structured," said Sebastian Tobing, equity analyst in Jakarta for UBS, which rates Telkom as a buy.

The towers are owned by PT Telekomunikasi Selular , Indonesia's biggest mobile phone operator. Telkom owns 65 percent of Telkomsel and SingTel owns the remaining 35 percent.

Telkomsel is expected to add 10 million new subscribers this year, bringing the total to 91 million, Telkom's finance director Sudiro Asno said.

"The market is already mature but we expect to still retain 50 percent of market share," Asno told reporters.

Telkomsel will get a 3-4 trillion rupiah ($326.6-$435.5 million) loan from foreign and local banks, replacing plans to raise 3 trillion rupiah from bond issues this year.


 

 


Comment on this Article. Send them to  your.views@aseanaffairs.com
Letters that do not contain full contact information cannot be published.
Letters become the property of AseanAffairs and may be republished in any format.
They typically run 150 words or less and may be edited
 
or
submit your comment in the box below 

Name

Name


Email

Email



1.  Verifier

1. Verifier

For security purposes, we ask that you enter the security code that is shown in the graphic. Please enter the code exactly as it is shown in the graphic.
Your Code
Enter Code

Home | About Us | Contact Us | Special Feature | Features | News | Magazine | Events | TV | Press Release | Advertise With us

Our Products | Work with us | Terms of Use | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Shipping/Delivery Policy | DISCLAIMER |

Version 5.0
Copyright © 2007-2015 TIME INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT ENTERPRISES CO., LTD. All rights reserved.
Bangkok, Thailand
asean@aseanaffairs.com