Google

ASEANAFFAIRS
Sign up | Log in

    ASEAN PROFILES

  ASEAN KEY DESTINATIONS

Home  >>   Daily News  >>   Indonesia News  >>   Agriculture  >>   Indonesia to push coffee
NEWS UPDATES Asean Affairs   29 November 2010

Indonesia to push coffee

Related Stories

October 25, 2010
Indo land reform criticized

October 20, 2010
Indonesian sugar production down 25 percent

October 9, 2010
Indonesia to Import Rice

June 15, 2010
Indonesian ag sector to get Asian, Mideast investment

June 10,2010
Indonesia: Marijuana, fishing and many more businesses are now closed for investment

Indonesia is planning to reverse a recent decline in production by revitalizing its coffee plantations starting next year.

"Coffee is also a strategic commodity in our rural economy. Therefore, we will include coffee in the plantation revitalization program next year," Agriculture Minister Suswono said on Saturday.

As part of the effort to develop and increase coffee production, the Agriculture Ministry will include coffee as one of the commodities to be prioritized in the plantation revitalization program next year.

So far, only three other agricultural commodities have been included in the country's revitalization program - oil palm, rubber and cocoa.

The inclusion of coffee in the priority program is expected to raise coffee farmers' incomes and the country's foreign exchange earnings from coffee exports, which have been declining recently, Suswono said, adding that coffee was one of the commodities seen to have a good chance at being revitalized.

The country's coffee productivity is lower than usual this year, around 700 kilograms per hectare, data from the ministry's directorate general of plantations showed.

The ministry said that Indonesia's coffee plantations cover some 1.31 million hectares, consisting of 1.07 million hectares (82 percent) planted with Robusta beans and the other 240,000 hectares (18 percent) with Arabica coffee.

Of the total plantation acreage, about 96 percent belongs to smallholders, two percent to private firms and the other two percent to state firms.

First planted in Indonesia in 1699, Arabica coffee is quite popular in world markets, and the government said it would focus on boosting its development. The country produces many varieties of the bean, among them Toraja, Flores and Java. Arabica accounts for 30 percent of national coffee production.

The government also has plans to boost production of Robusta coffee, as well as to improve the quality of the yield.

Among the efforts are rejuvenation, diversification and the integration of coffee plantations and cow farming, the minister said.

The ministry's announcement comes on the heels of a downgraded forecast for the commodity's export volume for 2010.

Indonesia's coffee export was originally forecast to reach 400,000 tons worth $773 million this year, said Rachim Kartabrata, executive secretary of the Indonesian Coffee Exporters Association (AEKI).


Reach Southeast Asia!
10- Nations, 560- Million Consumers
And $1 -Trillion Market
We are the Voice of Southeast Asia Media Kit
The only Media Dedicated to Southeast Asia Advertising Rates for Magazine
  Online Ad Rates
Contact: marketing@aseanaffairs.com

Comment on this Article. Send them to  your.views@aseanaffairs.com

Letters that do not contain full contact information cannot be published.
Letters become the property of AseanAffairs and may be republished in any format.
They typically run 150 words or less and may be edited
 
or
submit your comment in the box below
Name

Name


Email

Email



1.  Verifier

1. Verifier

For security purposes, we ask that you enter the security code that is shown in the graphic. Please enter the code exactly as it is shown in the graphic.
Your Code
Enter Code

Home | About Us | Contact Us | Special Feature | Features | News | Magazine | Events | TV | Press Release | Advertise With us

Our Products | Work with us | Terms of Use | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Shipping/Delivery Policy | DISCLAIMER |

Version 5.0
Copyright © 2007-2015 TIME INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT ENTERPRISES CO., LTD. All rights reserved.
Bangkok, Thailand
asean@aseanaffairs.com