However, the success of an effective
system can only be realized with the total
commitment of the senior management
and all our colleagues. There are constant
awareness programs, campaigns and training
to ensure all our colleagues are consistently
aware of our responsibility to the
environment. Some of the initiatives that
have been implemented are as follows:
Waste Management Centre - The Waste
Management Centre looks into managing
the waste that is generated in the hotel.
Eleven types of waste (namely
bottles, plastic, paper, newspaper,
cardboard, soap, cooking
oil, wood, cans/tins, metal/iron
and food waste) are currently
being sold to recycling companies.
In return, the monies
from recycling are used by the
environment related teams to
fund their activities. Organic
fertilizers that are made from
the hotel’s food waste is used in
our gardens; the excess is sold
to the town council.
|Mandarin Oriental Hotel,Kualar Lumper ,Malaysia
Energy savings - In order to
reduce the use of energy consumption,
some of the initiatives
- V-Kool film has been installed
on all windows in the public
areas as well as the guest rooms.
The benefits of V-kool are:
Reduction of solar heat gain
by over half, ensuring greater
comfort whilst reducing cooling
- 99 percent UV screening,
which reduces sun fading of fabrics,
carpets, furnishings, etc.
- Each room is fitted with a
room management system
called Inncom. Some of its benefits
where energy management
is concerned are:
- Air-condition monitoring and
control features maintain ambient
temperature in rooms
according to pre-programmed
- Room temperatures are
switched “on” or “off” depending
on its status of rented or vacant.
- Centralized building management system
that manages energy requirements of the
building, for example
- Chilled water requirements maintained by
reducing pump speed when demand is low
- Programmed lighting for public areas
- Car park CO2 sensors to manage exhaust/
fresh air handling units
- Variable Frequency Drives to manage
the electrical consumption according to
- Water flow arrestors in showers, bathtub
faucets, hand basin faucets, etc.
- Tunnel washer in laundry to recycle clean
water (last wash) to be used in the first
- Laundry dryers used only when maximum
load is reached
- The hotel’s Materials Management
concept of buying items just-in-time (JIT
concept) has ensured that there is minimal
inventory of items (food and non-food). As
such there are fewer possibilities of wastage
or obsolete items.
- With the food safety management system
in place, there are also benefits that go
hand-in-hand with environmental initiatives,
- All packaging is removed at the time of
delivery and returned to suppliers for reuse.
- Stringent controls over food and beverage
purchasing, delivery and storage ensures
that there is close to zero spoilage.
- The Integrated Pest Management system
ensures that there are minimal pest incidences,
which also helps prevent wastage.
- Regular inspections of supplier vehicles
and their compliance to local regulatory
requirements plays a hand in ensuring that
supplier vehicles are in good condition,
reducing carbon discharge.............
Back to Top
Read the Complete Article Subscribe to ASEANAFFAIRS Magazine