Asean+3 strike deal raise swap fund
Finance Ministers of Southeast Asia nations, Japan, China, and South Korea (Asean+3) agreed Sunday to prepare precautionary measures aimed at avoiding the region from falling deeper into severe financial meltdown, reported The Jakarta Post.
In its joint statement after a meeting in Thailand's resort island of Phuket, Asean+3 agreed to expand its pool of cooperation fund to $120 billion from $84 billion worth of foreign exchange reserves under the Chiang Mai Initiative framework signed in 2000.
Japan, China and South Korea will supply 80 percent of the fund, while ASEAN members the remaining 20 percent. Details on the contribution of each countries are still undecided.
"The immediate effect of the agreement is that there will be a positive signal to the financial market in which we reassure them that we have sufficient back up and ammunition to face possible financial turmoil," said Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati.
According to Mulyani, while the Asean+3 noted the Asian economies are in a better position to face challenges due to the structural reforms undertaken since the Asian financial crisis, it recognized the regional economy is now facing great challenges.
"The current severe economic downturn of the global economy coupled with heightened risk aversion in financial markets has adversely affected the region," said Mulyani.
Asean+3 includes the 10 members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) -- the Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos -- as well as three East Asian nations -- Japan, China, and South Korea.
The group has a total population of 2 billion, a combined gross domestic product (GDP) of $9.09 billion, and foreign reserves of $3.6 trillion. Therefore, ASEAN+3 represents one third of the world's population, 16 percent of the world's GDP, and holds more than half of the world's reserves.
As the first concrete joint action in Asia to cope with the global economic downturn, the foreign exchange reserve pool is accessible to members in a swap mechanism to boost their foreign exchange reserves and for addressing short-term liquidity problem.
Members in dire need of the foreign exchange reserve fund, however, will be subject to an independent surveillance mechanism by other members. A concrete arrangement of the surveillance will be decided during the upcoming Asean meeting in Bali in late May.
A surveillance by the member countries is preferred because most of the Asean+3 nations have suffered a traumatic experience from tapping financial support from the International Monetary Fund (IMF), which is regularly tied with seemingly unfavorable and ineffective terms and condition.
After the surveillance mechanism becomes fully effective in its function, members can use more of the fund without having to worry of being put under the IMF supervision. Under the existing rule, members withdrawing the fund by more than 20 percent of their real need are required to have IMF supervision.
Asean+3 is still working on expanding the 20 percent tolerance level to enable members getting more funds but are still under the surveillance of other members.
The group will also accelerate measures for better managing the regions' bond market by accelerating the completion of the Asian Bond Markets Initiative (ABMI) roadmap.
Thailand Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij, which co-chaired the Asean+3 meeting, said in a joint statement the roadmap would focus on the promotion of local currency bond issue, facilitation for the bond demand, and legal framework and infrastructure improvement for bond markets in the region.
"The implementation of the new roadmap is expected to contribute to the broad-based development of local currency denominated bond markets and greater accessibility to the regional bond markets," he said.
"We also recognise the important role of the private sector in the development of bond markets, particularly in cross-border bond transactions and settlement issues."
Asean+3 also agreed to inject the Asian Development Bank (ADB) with more capital in a bid to strengthen the bank's role in mitigating risks of its members in facing future financial uncertainty. The capital increase will be decided at the upcoming ADB annual meeting in May.
Letters that do not contain full contact information cannot be published.
Letters become the property of AseanAffairs and may be republished in any format.
They typically run 150 words or less and may be edited
submit your comment in the box below